Famous for fast four-strokes in the Thirties, the Birmingham Excelsior factory concentrated on two-strokes in the Fifties. The most exciting of them was the 250cc TT1 Talisman Twin launched in 1949. It was powered by Excelsior’s own 244cc twin-cylinder piston-port engine, bolted-up to an Albion four-speed gearbox.
The cradle frame’s rear suspension takes the form of plunger boxes containing coil springs. At the front, an ‘upside down’ telescopic fork has its lower tubes sliding inside main stanchions.
For 1952, Excelsior introduced this high-performance version, the twin-carburettor TT1S Sports. Capable of 65mph it was a desirable machine for novices. The TT2 series of 1954 had a swinging arm frame and a 328cc version followed. Excelsior’s final offering was a three-cylinder 500cc two-stroke engine for the Berkeley three-wheeler car.
Take a closer look at our latest promotional offers & book online. Read More...